Graduate Student Fees, Tuition, and Financial Aid

All graduate students at the University of California pay quarterly (academic year) registration fees; those who are not California residents also pay nonresident tuition. Students generally establish residency during their first year living in the state. The Earth & Planetary Sciences Department, the faculty, and researchers make a strong effort to provide financial support to graduate students who are making satisfactory academic progress. Many students are funded throughout their time in graduate school.

Sources of support include:

  • fellowships (based on both merit and need)
  • research assistantships (generally associated with competetive grants secured by faculty, researchers, and students)
  • teaching assistantships (during which graduate students collaborate with faculty and lecturers to run courses, discussion sections, and/or labs)

These forms of support often include fees, tuition, health insurance, and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Please discuss fellowship, research assistantship, TAship and other forms of graduate student support with your primary advisor or (for applicants) a prospective advisor.

Information about grants-in-aid, student loans, and work-study is available from:

Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
205 Hahn Student Services Building
University of California
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

See Also