Qualifying for the Major

Qualifying for the Major

We recommend that you consult with the department's undergraduate staff advisor to discuss options for degree concentration and coursework priorities before you start the process of officially declaring your major.  A student may not officially declare the Earth Sciences major until he or she completes (with a grade of C or better) one of the following introductory courses in physical geology:

  • EART 5 California Geology
  • EART 10 Geologic Principles
  • EART 20 Environmental Geology

Transfer students may take an approved substitution for one of the above course.

Students may petition to declare once they have successfully completed, or currently have in progress, the courses required by the qualification policy.

Please see the Environmental Sciences website for information on how to qualify for that major.